Gaál Sándor birth place

Indította gecube, 2020 december 22, 09:39:05

Előző téma - Következő téma

gecube

Hi!

I found a very nice and interesting record about marriage of Gaál Sándor with Konth Irén Kamilla.
The record is dated from Nov. of 1855. And I attached it below. What is uncertain - that is the place of the birth of Sándor. I can read "Zemplin vm. Ujhely". But the previous word is ugly written. It may be "czigany" or "czegeny".
Please assist to decipher it.

You cannot view this attachment.

Babcsányi Judit

Hi gecube!

You read it right, it is czigány which means gipsy.

BJudit
BJudit

gecube

Thank you very much, but unfortunately it gives no clue about where Sandor was born.

Probably I need to check the officers' records.

Rendeleti Közlöny a Magyar Királyi Honvédség számára, 1885 (12. évfolyam, 1-43. szám) states that:

In A Magyar Királyi Honvédelmi Ministerium, a Honvédség és a Csendőrség Névkönyve 1885 (Budapest, 1885) we found him precisely in Zemplén.

And in 1886 he is in M.-Sziget (A Magyar Királyi Honvédelmi Ministerium, a Honvédség és a Csendőrség Névkönyve 1886 (Budapest, 1886))

Babcsányi Judit

Oh, sorry, if I was not clear enough, the birthplace is also OK like you read it: Ujhely in the county Zemplén which probably means Sátoraljaújhely: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A1toralja%C3%BAjhely

BJudit
BJudit

gecube

Thanks for your opinion. But I may disagree. I checked a lot of other records of the same period and they follow the rule:
1. if the birth place is the same as "lakhely" (current address) - it will be written on whole cell like "M.Szigeth 666" (666 is house number)
2. if the birth place is not the same as current address - it will be written in the same cell separately. Examples:

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

So I believed that S-Ujhely was the current address of this man (and it is aligned with his profession - officer and the location of his ... I don't know ... squad?) and the previous word (which we recognized as "czigany") was his birth place...

Any suggestions?

Babcsányi Judit

Oh, OK, then this is his address. There is no other place given in that record. Of course, I couldn't know what that column was, as I didn't see the whole page.
BJudit

gecube

May it be Cigánd ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cig%C3%A1nd

> Régi írásalakja Czigán, Zigan, Zygan, Chygan, Czygan.

Skoumal Krisztián

It is Czégény, George, in 1912 it was merged with Dányád and its name is Cégénydányád, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county, Hungary.

Cheers
Krisztián

Babcsányi Judit

OK, sorry, now I see the system. Yes, Czégény will be the right solution.
BJudit